It won’t have escaped your notice that we have been refurbing our kitchen recently. It was a very big job and whilst the major work was done all at one time, we didn’t really think about appliances (apart from leaving spaces for them) till afterwards as the dust was settling. Part of that was budgeting, but a lot of it was that there were so many decisions to make that we chose not to make them all at once. That meant that we were able to shop around and research our appliances in a bit more depth rather than rushing into decisions because of deadlines. It helped too that we were going for free-standing appliances rather than built-in ones, as we felt that was more flexible.
A key part of the look of your kitchen is your fridge or your freezer. We had a look at quite a range of fridge freezers going around many a retail shop and out-of-town warehouse to see a good selection of appliances and find a good deal. I think it’s important to understand what you want from a fridge freezer before you start shopping and points to consider include:
- Do you want the same size fridge and freezer space? Would you prefer a bigger fridge or a bigger freezer?
- How big a fridge freezer can you fit in your kitchen? How much food storage place will you need? Think about the future too – will you need more in the foreseeable future?
- Do you want your fridge at the top? Or the bottom? Or do you want your fridge and freezer to stand side by side each other, with each extending vertically?
- Do you want a drinks dispenser? Ice maker? Any other features?
- Consider energy efficiency. Fuel bills are high these days, so it can save you money to have an energy-efficient fridge freezer.